Each summer, we recruit many summer camp volunteers for our Summer Fun! and ArtReach art camp programs. This is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience working with children in a fun and energetic setting.
About Summer Fun! and ArtReach
Our Summer Fun! program runs for six weeks in 2020 from July 6 – August 14 and offers a variety of music, dance, drama and visual arts classes for students ages 5 to 14. Our ArtReach program runs for one week from August 17 – 21 in 2020. It is a free camp for children in Coquitlam who face financial barriers to arts education.
For our Summer Fun! camps, we require a minimum commitment of two weeks (Monday-Friday). Full- or half-day shifts are available. A Mandatory orientation session takes place before the start of camp.
For our ArtReach camp, we require volunteers to commit to all five days of the camp from August 12 – 16. Full- or half-day shifts are available. A Mandatory orientation session takes place before the start of camp.
Summer Art Camp Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
Summer art camp volunteers work closely with staff and teachers to ensure the overall safety and participation of students in the camp.
Specific duties may include:
- welcoming students each day;
- ensuring students sign in and sign out each day;
- escorting students to and from their classes;
- assisting students in their classes;
- working individually with students who need extra support;
- supervising students during breaks and after-camp care;
- helping prepare students for Friday Fun Day;
- helping prepare name tags and signage.
ArtReach volunteers also assist with the following:
- preparing and serving meals and snacks to students.
- Excellent opportunity for anyone interested in pursuing a career related to education or childcare to gain experience and skills;
- Opportunity to earn work experience or volunteer hours;
- Reference letters or confirmation/record of hours worked;
- A volunteer t-shirt;
- Invitation to volunteer appreciation events;
- Must have experience working with children 5-12 years old, (for example babysitting, daycare, volunteering with elementary schools, day camps and other children’s programs);
- Patient, caring, friendly, dependable, committed, responsible and adaptable.
- Ability to relate to children;
- Effective verbal communication skills;
- Must be able to work in a team environment and follow instructions well;
- Suitable for volunteers who are 16 years old and older;
- Studying in a field related to childcare and education an asset. For example: Special Education Assistant (SEA) or Teacher Assistant, Early Childhood Education (ECE), Education or PDP, etc.
How to Apply
Applications will open in Spring 2020.