Alternative methods of applying may be considered. Please email email@example.com or call 604.664.1636 ext. 32 and we will do our best to accommodate.
Place des Arts seeks submissions from current and former Place des Arts students, teachers, and staff for our annual Community Exhibition. The exhibition will be installed in the Atrium at Place des Arts from May 31 – June 20, 2024 and will be viewable online at placedesarts.ca/exhibitions from June 7 – August 31, 2024. This season, Place des Arts’ theme is "Wonder". Artists are encouraged to reflect on this theme in their Community Exhibition submission.
SUBMISSIONS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Applicants must be current or former students, teachers or staff of Place des Arts;
- Submitted artworks must be created within the past 12 months;
- Submitted artworks can be made outside of Place des Arts and in a medium different than the medium of the class(es) you are/were involved in at Place des Arts. For example, a ceramics student can submit acrylic paintings;
- Each applicant may submit up to 2 works in any media (depending on space, only one piece may be selected);
- Artwork(s) must not have been previously exhibited at Place des Arts;
- Content/subject matter is appropriate for all audiences;
- All artworks must be original and made by the applicant; no craft kits, items purchased and assembled, imported crafts or items made by someone other than the applicant will be accepted;
- Artwork must be ready to hang and/or display:
- Artwork not ready for installation may not be installed. Place des Arts is not responsible for any damage to Artwork(s) and/or framing if additional hardware is required during installation.
- 2D artwork must have hanging hardware securely attached; D-ring hangers installed within the top ¼ of the artwork are recommended;
- please email firstname.lastname@example.org for approval of any hanging hardware that does not fit the above requirements or if you have any questions about hardware;
- Unframed canvases must have neat and professional edges;
- Artwork(s) must be clearly labelled on the back/bottom with artist name and artwork title corresponding to the information submitted on the application form.
- All submissions will be reviewed by Place des Arts and all artists will be notified of their application status via email by mid-May with directions on artwork drop-off, which will occur by appointment.
- Place des Arts has the sole discretion to reject any artwork(s) at any time prior to or during the exhibition.
SALE OF ARTWORKS
- Place des Arts will retain 30% of the retail price of any artwork(s) sold;
- Sold artworks will remain on view for the duration of the in-person exhibition;
- A cheque for 70% of the retail price of each artwork sold during the in-person exhibition dates will be mailed to the artist at the address indicated on the application form within thirty (30) days of the exhibition end date.
- Place des Arts is not liable to the artist or anyone for the loss of, or damage to, or destruction of an artwork unless such loss, damage or destruction is caused by negligence, recklessness or willful act of Place des Arts.
Social Sharing and Promotion Information
Artistic/professional accounts encouraged; if accepted, these accounts may be tagged in promotions.
Tell us about your artwork, your inspiration, your experience at Place des Arts and/or the connection to the theme of “Wonder.”
¹ Size of artwork in inches. For 2D work, please indicate height and width of artwork in inches (not including the frame). For 3D work, please indicate height, width and depth in inches.
² Place des Arts retains 30% of the retail price of artwork sold. If artwork is not for sale, please enter NFS.
Images must be high resolution (300dpi and at least 5” x 7” or 2000 pixels on the shortest edge)
Recommended file types: .jpg, .jpeg, .png
Max file size: 3MB